Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Socks & A Sewing Machine

Yes....
I'm afraid most of my post for a while will have socks in them...
I've joined the Ravelry group again this year for the monthly challenges.

Here are the Mystery Socks I'm working on for September.



Really loving the craziness of them!! 
The little tubes attached to them are Needle holders, ordered from Knitpicks.com
There made of cardboard, so not the best quality. but they'll work very well for now!


Second pair of Socks for the September Challenge  



I like this one, but the knitting around the gusset seems to be a little tight.
Ah well the trials of trying different sock patterns! 
I love the cabling though! 
A bit fiddly to keep track of but worth it in the end (and these were done on size 1 needles! Yikes! )

I also received from my KnitPicks order, a couple skeins of bare yarn which I intend to dye.
And A YARN SWIFT!!! 
I've been wanting one of these forever.. (Since i got my yarn ball winder) 
But there a very pricey item, So when i saw that they were having a sale i finally got one!
And .. I LOVE IT!!! 


It makes winding skeins of yarn SOOOO much easier!!
And my loom (In the background) just sold! I've been wanting to sell it for a while now, as I'm not really into weaving at this time and needed the room more. 
So when it gets picked up I'm hoping to replace it with a crafting table! 
as you can see I've been a wee bit crowded with it in there! 

AND (Drumroll please) selling the loom allowed me to get something I've been needing for a LONG time now...
A
SEWING MACHINE!!


Isn't it a Beauty?!?!? 
I have several sewing machine's but there all very old and work SO well on Denim
(which i LOVE but they don't do button holes and such!)
I'm still amazed.. you pop the button onto the maker and it makes the button hole the perfect size! 
I'm in awe... 
And it has a ruffler (which i'm sure I'll have fun with once i get back into historical sewing!)
A quilting foot, and so many more! 
It's amazing, I love it and I'll quit boring you now! 

A family friend also gave me some silk cocoons that he actually raised himself, to see if i could make them into fiber.
It took a GREAT deal of boiling to get them de-gummed. but it worked! 
Now i just have to spin the fluff! 


The fiber is SOOO fine and soft. As soft as my hands are and all the lotion i put on them before handling it. (I read somewhere that it helped) It still caught on my fingers a bit! 
And
That's all folk's! 

Here's a lovely picture I took while riding around in the fields. 
Summer's coming to an end, I feel Fall in the air.




As Shakespeare Said..
"Summer's lease has all to short a date."
I feel boots and scarfs and crackling bonfires coming!! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that your sold your loom and were finally able to get a sewing machine! Congratulations! I love your blue socks, the cables show up really nice in that color! Your other socks are so crazy, very you! LOL I bet the silk is SO soft, it looks so FLUFFY! :) Your yarn swift is beautiful! During that sale, Tara was able to get a ball winder and has been winding ever since! :) You've been so good about blogging, I'm working on a post right now, a few more pictures and I think I'll be ready soon! Hope you're having a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I just finished sewing a dress on it today! Can't wait to get some pictures taken of it.
    I'm Attempting to keep up with the blogging as i'm getting quit a bit of stuff done at the moment.. We'll see how long i can keep up with both!

    ReplyDelete